Periodontal treatment involves prevention and treatment of gum disease, also called periodontal diseases. These diseases include:
- Gingivitis: inflammation of the gums
- Periodontitis: A serious inflammation of the fibers and bone that hold the teeth in place
- Gingivitis, if left uncontrolled, often progresses to Periodontitis.
What are the treatments for these diseases?
- Non Surgical Treatment: This involves a procedure called scaling and root planing. It’s often called “deep cleaning.” In this procedure, we numb up the teeth in question. We then carefully scale and remove bacterial and tartar accumulations that on the teeth and under the gums, firmly attached to the teeth roots. By removing these toxins, the inflammation will subside and the tissues will reattach to the root surface, giving you back proper periodontal support. This is often the first line treatment for Peridontitis. Scaling and Root Planing is a gold standard treatment that has been done for a long time and has stood the test of time. After the procedure is done, it is imperative that you maintain good hygiene at home, otherwise the gum disease may return. Also you may experience some temporary, mild pain or sensitivity. Often times OTC pain relief is sufficient.
- Surgical Treatment: This is often performed by a periodontist, or gum specialist. This is reserved for extreme cases of Periodontitis. What happens is the gums are opened up via an incision, and bacterial accumulations, as well as diseased bone and tissues are careful removed using a drill. The gums are then sutured back up.
- Extraction and implants: sometimes if the disease is too advanced, the tooth may not be savable. We may recommend an extraction followed by a bone graft, followed by a thorough evaluation for possible implant placement. See implant section for more info.
Remember Home care
You must remember, all of these procedures are useless if the patient does not maintain good oral hygiene, as well as come in for regular check ups. For patients who received scaling and root planing, we will often advice that they come in every 3-4 months for Perio Maintenance Cleanings. At these appointments we will chart the progression of their disease, looking for improvements or relapses. It is very important that patients are vigilant about making these appointments!
Take the Next Step to a Beautiful Smile with a Complimentary Consultation
Our goal is provide personalized care and make it easy to obtain the treatment you need, with flexible financing. We also offer Saturday hours and extended hours during the week for your convenience.
Please contact our Queen Anne dental office so we can arrange a complimentary consultation. With our teeth alignment treatment options, you will be all set for a beautiful look. We look forward to seeing you!